Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30

No calendar events were found.

Allies & Supporters

Tranz4mations encourages everyone to support organisations that support Gender Diversity.

Author Topic: Transgender Issues?  (Read 1318 times)

Rebecca

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Rogues Mayhem
Transgender Issues?
« on: March 09, 2015, 01:54:47 PM »
What does Transgender Issues mean to you?

This term is thrown around alot but no one every seems to talk about what the issues are...  So here is your chance too put down what they mean to you...

For me at this point of time the main issue I see is the way we are treated as second class citerzens, the comtempt some people show when you go into there shops to either buy something or get a service like your nails done, eye brows wax ect. ...
Dream as if you will live Forever.
Live as if you will die Today.
- James Dean

Tranz4mations :: Bringing the Gender Diverse Community Together

Transgender Issues?
« on: March 09, 2015, 01:54:47 PM »

Mary-Jane

• Operations Director
  • Administrator
  • I'm only here to help!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.abbeyoftheblackswan.org
Re: Transgender Issues?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 05:55:10 PM »
I do agree that trans people are treated as second class citizens by broader society but I wonder why there has been no calls from any organisation to make discrimination on the basis of Gender Identity part of the Equal Opportunity Legislation.

It is a fact of health promotion research that if you want to make a permanent social change then legislation by Government is the best way to achieve reform. Yet it seems to me that many of the leaders of the community seem content with the status quo, why is that? 

I also think the trans community itself has a little boxes approach to gender. Take a few easily understood stereotypes, turn them into PR slogans and wrap them up with a genitals and sex view and Bob's your Aunty?

It seems our vision is too low! The "greatest achievement ever" shouldn't be Pride "letting" trans people carry a giant trans flag for the telly but serious and permanent law reform to make all gender diverse people, regardless of where they are on the journey, safe in both mainstream AND LGBTIQ+ Communities.

I think there is also a case for ending post op privilege. Too often in the Trans Community in Perth we hear and see post op people making harsh judgements about other people. I have seen instances where some people in positions of power openly label someone as "not a real trans person*" without having any shred of evidence to back their claims and often this mis-labeling occurs without them even knowing the person.

I think the LGBTIQ+ Community needs to understand this for what it is bullying and peer pressure should be applied to make inter-community abuse unacceptable. We laugh about "tranny wars" but the truth is these are most often about aggressive bullying for personal gain and control of key positions of power.

How many more people have to end up in hospital due to a harsh unfair bullying campaign within the community before the community says enough is enough? Trans on Trans bullying, like Gay on Gay Bullying etc are very real problems that need to be addressed.

You only need to look at participation rates at trans community events to see the effects, people/groups with a reputation for fueling "tranny wars" or supporting/engaging in online bullying do seem to have a problem attracting more than 5 or 6 people to their events!!!

Perhaps the real reason why the leaders of the community do not call for EOC legislation change is that small groups are easier to control and keeping things the way they are means "they" can openly bully people into self exclusion, leaving the gravy train with fewer occupants?

Maybe LGBTIQ+ leaders are scared that if the laws really are changed then a few high profile people might find themselves dragged before the EOC and named and shamed for being guilty of discrimination for their use of the abusive & in Perth ubiquitous, "they are not a real trans person"?

I don't know about you but I can almost hear the chant: "lose your job" already!!!

* term includes "not a real woman" & "not a real man" which are also used by people engaging in trans on trans bullying.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:38:52 PM by Mary-Jane »
Conflict of Interest Statement: Mary-Jane is Editor of Perth Gay News and The Media Annuncio of the Perth Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence of the Abbey of the Black Swan.