Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

No calendar events were found.

Allies & Supporters

Tranz4mations encourages everyone to support organisations that support Gender Diversity.

Author Topic: Transgender Day of Remembrance 2018  (Read 186 times)

nicola

• Administrator
  • always keep it ballanced 50/50 in life.
    • View Profile
Transgender Day of Remembrance 2018
« on: November 20, 2018, 06:22:16 AM »

Yesterday was transgender day of remembrance. Transfolk Of WA  held an online #Facebook #Event. I know of many Name Reading Ceremonies happening in Private Homes across Perth.

Yesterday was a day to Remember not only those that have died but to support the living. Many of the biggest struggles faced stem from economic privilege meaning for some trans people it is impossible to transition fully or to afford to many of the expensive events organised by festivals and groups. Not "Passing" can mean not being welcome in the Trans Community and lead to hate crimes and violence in the wider community.

We remember on this day the 369 souls, counted and those uncounted, who were lost world wide for just being themselves. A figure which is on the rise through religious extremism, poverty & crimes. We should not forget that in the first world the rise of intra-community bullying should not be ignored as a cause of lives being lost.   

THIS POST FROM JEZ PEZ ON Facebook stood out to me yesterday:
I started to reflect on the people I know we have lost as a result of transphobic violence and abuse, either through a single act of fatal violence or through ongoing continuous incremental acts of violence that eventually culminates into a suicide.

What really got me today, was the unknown. That there are trans and gender diverse people who arenít here anymore and we donít know what they went through, why they are gone or even if they were living as trans and because of that, we canít honour them. I know the pain and suffering many people experience in our communities, I participate in our communities, I witness it and I work in this space.

I recognise how debilitating it is to spend your energy on getting through basic functioning and survival, to get through the day and that the systems built around us make it unnecessarily harder. Thatís when I thought more today about the level of trauma our communities live with and how challenging it can be to manage our trauma, whilst also trying to fight to improve our lives. Whilst the systems around us donít even count us all, or even recognise us or our experiences, we remain and fight for visibility.

Whilst a politically aggressive climate seeks to undermine our existence, we remain and fight for validity. We fight for the right and freedom to speak for ourselves so that we can be the ones leading the reform that is overdue in our society. Sometimes doing this work creates risk, because we are pushing for change.

People and systems can buckle under the fantastic and necessary pressure we create because they are resistant to change and are angry at us for being bold, for being ourselves and for being happy in that state. I know numerous trans and gender diverse activists who have experienced violence as a result of being visible or undertaking work that aims to break and remould constructions that exclude and harm us.

That work can sometimes be traumatic and we have built networks around us to nurture and heal us when we need it. I needed it more than ever in the last year and I want to thank the small group of people around me who provided me with sanctuary, support and safety whilst I recovered from a life threatening act of violence from when I was overseas on my Churchill Fellowship.

Just over a year ago, I was brutally attacked and itís changed me as a person. The nature and details of the attack will only really ever be fully understood by me alone and it wonít be helpful for me or others to talk about them. I have decided that to focus on those elements right now is not useful. And even though I had gotten to a point during the attack where I truly thought that it was going to be my ultimate end, I did not give up. I donít know how I did it, but I pulled all of my life knowledge and skills and channeled it into one moment in time to survive.

But it changed me and I was exhausted. I can imagine it has been the same for tens of thousands of others who have experienced something similar. During my recovery, I became acutely aware that I was a person working with traumatised communities, in spaces where trauma was occurring, whilst also trying to manage my own trauma.

This wasnít an ideal situation as I was repeatedly disappointed by a range of scenarios and people, where there was a lack of competency and ability to respond to the change of circumstances. This is what we need to be talking about. How can we develop a trauma informed community that understands the impact of trauma, but also how it can heighten and elevate our skills at identifying threats and risks and ultimately aims to not retraumatise people.

There is a lot of wisdom among us and the more people working together, means we can be stronger against our threats. Iím very lucky that I had the resources internally and externally to overcome what happened and today I am thinking about the many people who donít and are still living with trauma and itís impacts. Iím also thinking of the people we donít know we have lost because we werenít able to hold them and their immediate worlds werenít even able to even see them. Rest in Power to those we lost. To those still here, full power to you, thankIíd just like to let people know that Iím going to be taking a break from social media. The last week has had a major impact on me and Iím someone that holds a lot of responsibility in terms of having a job, a partner, family, friends and multiple community projects and commitments on the go. With that means I have to stay on my game and taking care of myself has to be a priority to be able to keep being the best I can be and to keep giving.

One Week After TDOR he wrote again.

Seeing a number of people, particularly people I know, who could have messaged me privately to have a respectful conversation about something so deeply traumatic for me and instead chose to take my posts and words out of context and turn it into a public debate, caused me immense pain and stress. These people totally erased my experience of serious violence and even suggested it wasnít actual abuse. I want that to sink in for our communities. That there are some people out there who negated my experience of violence. They used my personal experience of violence as a way to take me down for a variety of reasons. Call out culture is over. Youíre not helping anyone and youíre using people and their trauma to score political points and to build alliances with people. People can see it and itís lateral violence.

Upon reflection, it was the public article that caused this. When I agreed to have it published it was about 11.40pm at night, I was tired and I was feeling a bit raw because I had just disclosed what happened for the first time to my community. Some people have interpreted it as an actual article instead of it being written as a personal post. I did not expect people to dismiss my personal experience of violence in such a public fashion. Itís fair to say many of us were shocked.

In the last week I have had an enormous amount of support, thank you. This has equated to hundreds of messages that held my vulnerability and paid me the respect I deserved. I have also received a massive amount of private messages from people (especially trans people) disclosing their own experiences of violence and telling me they were grateful I spoke up, because they have not been able to. You are all brave and beautiful people and any person who has experienced violence is held within my heart and any violation of your safety is unacceptable. The violence that occurred against me was unacceptable and nobody can tell me otherwise and nobody can tell me how and when I can speak up about that.

To the people who participated in the public criticism and erasure of my experience of violence. I am not angry at you and I understand that trauma can touch us all and that we are all learning about how to be the best we can be. But I do ask that you consider the gravity and impact of your actions and that it doesnít serve to foster a community that supports each other, in fact it creates a risk to our safety and deters people from being able to speak up about their experiences of violence.

My process going forward will be to channel this energy into love for myself and the people around me who do good in this world. I will also be working on building and establishing solid evidence base of the impact of violence on our communities and turning that into hard action that helps us all. I have already begun discussions with lots of people about how we can work together to address these issues, the rates of violence, the lack of appropriate services, the lack of space to unpack trauma and the lack of skill and competency in our communities to respond to trauma. Lots of us want change and we are stronger if we work together in a compassionate and empathic way. Thank you and Iíll BRB soon. ✌️
 you for your work and let's take care of each other."

Above this was my protest for transgender rights at the Make WA AiDS Council Great Again #WAAC #MAGA #Help #GetTransWomenOutOfMensPrisons. As we remember the dead lets not forget the many trans-women/trans-men incarcerated in the wrong prisons that also do not have a voice.

Who is the day for? Day for support living as well as the dead. 

Over east there are dinners planed in Brisbane and a walk in Adelaide, Also a couple of ceremony's in Melbourne and Sydney to remember those that have been murdered in our community across the world. Here in Perth it was disappointing to see Transgender Day of Remembrance treated so casually with no dedicated event planned. If it wasn't for the AIDS Council's Freedom Centre last minute opening up of it's Under 25s Pride event then nothing would have been done.

In spite of all the funds given out under LGBT umbrella funding non-politicised & inclusive services for over 25s gender diverse people in Perth remain poor or unfriendly to anyone not fitting into the new binary. .... Sad Common for LGBT funding to forget the T when services.....

Let's hope next year it's not all last minute and a proper naming ceremony occurs to respect both the living and those that have passed.

Above: As we stand up for Gender Rights I think we should not quickly ignore Economic privilege which destroys families and alienates classes of people. Poverty reduction and help with jobs should be what the community concentrates and to eliminate the elitism that has taken over some sectors of the community. Rehashing debates that have all ready been had is a distraction for pressing issues that should be talked about.

The WA AIDS Council's Freedom Centre is doing a #TDOR for the 20th at Hyde Park between 6 pm - 7.30pm  It's a BYO bbq or Picnic.
https://www.facebook.com/events/2313726502190978/

#LestWeForget On November 19th it was international MEN'S day an event that largely went unnoticed because of the prominence of the #METOO Movement. With men making up 75% of all suicides some #equity prevention does not seem too much to ask.

At a time when TERFS all over the place seem intent on excluding trans people it was great to see the trans-men included in Perth's International Men's Day 2018 Education in Tranz4mations & The Abbey of the Black Swan. We all know that "Trans Men are Men" and most certainly are included in international men's day as it celebrates all men.

World AIDS Day

1 December 2018
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 02:04:10 PM by nicola »

Tranz4mations :: Bringing the Gender Diverse Community Together

« on: November 20, 2018, 06:22:16 AM »